Monday 7 July 2008

what makes an artist?


 I've been thinking about what makes an artist. What (or who) is an artist? i joined a daily sketching/visual journal group called 'Everyday Matters' (the book of the same name by the artist Danny Gregory is inspiring and wonderful) and i've watched with interest a discussion about who should call themselves an 'artist'. 
The group seems to be mostly for amateurs (a word which should be simply descriptive but already sounds judgmental) and i am happy to count myself as one. The label 'artist' is more difficult. Someone writes that we should all call ourselves artists because we draw, paint, sketch, create. Her words seem so positive, celebratory and a recognition of the effort made by us all in our creations. People reply to thank her, almost as if we need permission to use the word and she gave it to us. Yet another member made an interesting point that having a camera doesn't make you a photographer (i would definitely agree with that!) just as having good kitchen equipment doesn't make you a chef. It is almost as if both of them are right and i am wondering how two apparently opposing views can both be true.
Coleridge said that the primary act of imagination is perception. In other words just looking at the world around us and interpreting it through our senses is an imaginative act in itself. The secondary act of imagination is re-presenting this initial act of perception in a work of art and holding it up for others to view. This is what the artist does in the process of creation. When we read a poem, look at a painting or photograph or listen to some music that makes us see the world in a different way, even just for a moment, that's art. At that moment we are looking through someone else's eyes and from a different viewpoint. 
Perhaps the discussion over at the EDM group may ultimately be about the difference between amateur and professional rather than artist and non-artist. i know i am a professional photographer but an amateur artist and this is not just because of my lack of artistic talent and relative competence at photography. In many ways the process of drawing and photographing is very similar for me. In both activities i seek to look carefully at something and record it. If anyone wants to look at what i've made afterwards, well that's fine with me. 
We may not all be artists but we all have our unique take on things and the sharing of one's own vision or the privilige of looking at someone else's (and therefore having access to a way of seeing not possible without them) can be a real joy. 
i haven't answered my own question yet. i'm still thinking about what makes an artist.
May you be well, may you be happy, and if you're feeling inspired may you be artistic too.

4 comments:

Linda T said...

Interesting. Sometimes I think we just have to realize we like creating and just do it and enjoy the process.

Deb and Ted said...

An artist is a way of seeing. I take snapshots of cute kids and family. A photographer sees the same people, in the same place and sees something special. An artist writes a short story about a moment that resonates with their vision of something special. If you see something special, something worth recording, and take the time and effort to record it then you are an artist.
I have waved my magic wand, twanged my magic twanger, and pronounce you artist. (please imagine awesome special effects sounds).
There, now you are an artist. I have stamped you with the tag, invisibly. Go forth, make art. From now on everything that you make, write, draw, and cook is a work of an artist.
HAH! Serves you right, making pretty things in public!
HAH! Hah! hah! And you also have the awesome power of creating other artists. Please pass it on.

Stephen Hall said...

I'm writing all over your blog this evening for which i apologise! I love this question - what makes an artist - I have a question... If someone took away your camera, brushes, pens, paper - all those impliments you need to create an image, how would you react? what would you do? The issue of art is nothing to do with amatuer/ professional.. how many true artists made money out of painting? It runs way deeper than that - I sense you know it. It's in your blood and skin whether you want it or not. If some tried to stop you it would seep out, thats what being an artist is :-)

owenswain said...

I have had your post up on my computer for two days. I came to this comment to say essentially what Steve beat me to saying. For nearly 20 years what I did was serve as an ordained minister but who I was all during that time and before that, professionally yes but more importantly inherently who I was before even that - from my earliest memory - was an artist. For a time I tired not to be but as Steve says, it comes out your pours.